Tuesday, May 12, 2009

You've got a friend !

James Taylor I've been waiting for more than twenty years to hear and see you in concert. Indeed you've got a friend ! When I think about the greatest songs it is hard to go past 'Fire and Rain', How Sweet it is, Carolina on my mind and many other Taylormade classics.

From his early work through to his latest album (Covers) James has always been a poetic songwriter with a ever so open soul. As a 'consumer' of his music you feel that he is an 'old friend' and that you have a personal relationship with him. On stage James told a small story for just about every song as he introduced the number. He was surprisingly jovial and talked to the audience in a natural friendly style.

As he sang my mind and senses focused and a invisible channel between singer and listener was created. James Taylor is the master of ballads and does cross over between country, popular and soul.

In a morbid moment I even thought if you had to choose a song it would likely be a James Taylor number. When I think about what I'd like to have played at my funeral it would be a tough choice as you wanted to be remembered for who you are and also not be too sad to make it all that more difficult for your loved ones.

Our tickets were not great (Balcony C and Row X), acoustics were OK and there were some members of the audience near us that were drunk and rowdy . But I'm glad I went to see his smiling face !

No comments: