Friday, August 6, 2010

The Bledisloe Cup

Last weekend I took my two sons to the Rugby - a tradition and the most revered game between Australia and New Zealand. It was a special event that I had planned and we had not seen a "Bledisloe Cup' together for at least 12 years.

Having been starved of live rugby for many years, I was looking forward to this game and hosting my boys more than I realised.   The weekend together was really great and we spent some time with Anna  doing some walks and of course lots of eating.

Anna prepared a feast of 'tapas' and then we made the short walk to the Eithad Stadium, which is just less than 10 minutes away.

We sat in Gold tickets and the view was good, but we wondered how liberal the definition of ''Gold' was applied to the seating arrangements. The Rugby game itself started perfectly with Australia scoring from a freakish kick chargedown, however when NZ scored the same try within 2 minutes ;  it was clear that this was not going to be an easy evening.

If I summarised the game, the kiwis were playing a new style of game and trying new tactics.  These tactics worked well and Australia simply had no answer.   It was hard to watch as NZ were just so good, and as much as the Wallabies tried it was to no avail. 

In the end the real winner of the evening was myself -- who had managed to get my two sons down for the weekend. 

No comments: