Friday, November 5, 2010

"I've Gotta Get a Message to You"

The songs from the past....this one a past number one hit;  Robin Gibb who looks more geeky than Bill Gates sang without big brother Barry.  He went through their considerable repetoire, so many great songs and once you got over the fact that Barry was not there and Maurice had already left this world -- it was a great concert.

Robin was stunning as he sung the ballards which showcased his voice.  His renditions of songs from 'Saturday Night Fever', while missing Barry were still memorable.  The management of the Palais Theatre insisted that there would be no dancing in the aisles and there were many fat and gray people moving in their seats.  

The Bee Gees or Brothers Gibb were just a phenomenal group and songwriting machine that when they were over-exposed wrote classic songs for others to record. Apparently since the death of Maurice, the remaining brothers have vowed not to perform as the Bee Gees again. So as Robin promised to bring Barry with him next time...we won't be ever buying a ticket for a Bee Gees concert.


For me when we left Australia to go to Shanghai, we had to sell our Gold Reserve tickets to the Bee Gee concert -- that was a loss.  Of course we didn't realise that we would never get another opportunity to see the group as a whole.  

Let me admit I'm a fan of the Bee Gees and had their single records that I bought in the 60's. Their music even more so than the Beatles have defined my childhood, from the early materials through Fever and to 80's.

Heck I even named my daughter after the Bee Gees (only joking)

Oh yeah ...my last message to you - there is a Steven Spielberg movie that is being made of the life of the Bee Gees.......be sure to catch it.

No comments: