Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Letter from distant relative



Hi David,

I found your blog on the GEE family and hope you don't mind me emailing you.

For eight years I have been researching my husband's family-the LAU/LOW family from Darwin. During that period I have come across much information on my husband's grandfather, LAU Dan, most commonly known by his business name, Wo Yuen.

I believe you have an ancestor named FONG How (1860-1920), and the name of his business was
Wing Wah Loong (forever/illustrious/prosperous).




I can tell you the location of his shop was on Lot 401 Cavanagh St, Palmerston/Darwin which was directly across the street from the Terminus Hotel and the Tree of Knowledge. The reason I know this is that FONG How, LAU Dan and LEE Cung all signed a lease on the 1st September 1890 (Lease No 1232-Volume IV Folio 238-Lands Department Darwin).



The lot was 2000 square metres and consisted of three shop fronts. It was the original site of the Northern Territory Hotel-the first hotel in Darwin.

 The lease was renewed on 1st November 1897 (Lease No 1897 Volume IV Folio 238-Lands Department Darwin). They signed the lease under their business names-Wing Wah Loong, Wo Yuen and Yot Sing.

The photo I have attached of Chinese New Year Parade in Cavenagh Street shows the three shops run by Wing Wah Loong, Wo Yuen and Yot Sing on Lot 401 (all with gables). A later photo around 1926 shows a lorry ordered by Wing Wah Loong parked next to the shop. Another photo shows the sign of Wing Wah Loong on the shop and the final one shows Cavenagh Street after it had been cleared by the army after the war(the tree of knowledge survived).

The photo showing the group of merchants shows FONG How (Wing Wah Loong) fourth from left in the middle row.

LAU Dan (Wo Yuen) was born I Long Chee Wan (Longjuhuan) west of Shekki Zhongshan China on 1 Jan 1858. He came to Palmerston in 1877. He returned to China with my father in law, Willie Wie Kwong LAU/LOW, in 1930. LAU Dan died in about September 1931 and my father in law returned to Darwin two years later.

I hope you can use this information for your blog so your family will know.

Sincerely,
Leonie LOW









No comments: