Tuesday, October 12, 2010

GPS Gold Challenge

Last weekend I participated in a old school reunion with a twist -- the class of 1977 competed at various sports - Rowing, Tennis, Athletics, Swimming etc.  We all tested our 'muscle memory' to contort our bodies in positions that we used and were masterful some years ago.

After three days my legs are still aching and from the numerous emails on this subject; I'm not alone!   We all woke up feeling 17 years old again and engaged in sports that we for the most part have not played for many many years. In my case as Captain of Basketball we played and won 1 out of 2 games, alas the jump shot was not working as I wanted and if my legs were working.....

The basketball was particularly rough and nearly anything was allowed - this served as a great warm-up for the 'touch' rugby which followed a few hours later.  In the end with all ended with aching bodies from bumps, scrapes and using muscles that frankly I haven't used for many years.

To me the highlight was not only beating our nemesis St Joey's at Rugby (touch) and reversing our last game of 30 years ago, but to be playing with old friends. For many of us, things didn't needed to be said, we understood each other well and it was a pleasure to be in company of old friends and united against old foe. And indeed they were also 'old'.

I was particularly glad to see faces that I have not seen for 30 year + years.   The interesting demographic is that I noticed that while the waistlines were all thicker and the hairline less and more gray, and there were very few Tattoos.  However the competitive spirit had not dampened with age, in many cases the mind was more willing than the body.

A great day for the old boys and a worthy charity also benefited from this challenge. Nice job Tony and the organisers !

One wonders who will be up for a game in 10 years time?

No comments: